Last night’s game between the Detroit Tigers and Boston Red Sox was one for the ages as the Red Sox scored 20 runs and made history in so many ways. In the end, Boston also took two out of three from the Tigers in the series.
Despite taking two out of three, the more important aspect from this series came from last night’s game. The final score ended up being 20-4 and by the time the game ended it was shocking to see how much from the game was actually accomplished and put in to the record books.
Here is a look at what was accomplished by the Red Sox last night:
· 20 runs scored last night were the most ever the Red Sox have ever scored at home against the Tigers. It was most runs they have also scored against the Detroit since they scored 18 against them on July 21, 1997. Prior to last night’s game, Boston had not scored 10 or more runs against the Tigers at Fenway Park since April 10, 2008.
· Also 20 runs scored last night were the most the team has scored in a game since recording 25 runs against the Florida Marlins on June 27, 2003. It was also just the third time the Red Sox have scored at least 20 runs in a single game since 2000. Aside from last night and June 2003 game, the only other time came when Boston scored 22 runs against the Tampa Bay Rays on July 23, 2002.
· David Ortiz recorded hit number 2,000 last night and also hammered out two long balls. With those two home runs, Ortiz tied Mike Piazza for 46th all time in MLB history in home runs with 427. Up next is Cal Ripken at 431.
· Eight home runs hit by the Red Sox tied a franchise record in a game. The other time Boston hit eight long balls in a game was only July 4, 1977.
· Boston starter Ryan Dempster won his first career start against the Tigers. It was his first start against them since June 23, 2002.
· Newly acquired infielder John McDonald appeared in his 1,000 career game in the major leagues last night. McDonald’s first career game came on July 4, 1999 when he was a member of the Cleveland Indians.
Looking Ahead: After completing a 7-2 homestand, the Red Sox will travel to Yankee Stadium for the last time this season and take on the Yankees before a day off on Monday before concluding this seven game trip in Tampa. The Yankees have been hot lately winning seven of the last ten games and are currently leading the second Wild Card position.