(Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)
HOUSTON—In what has been a whirlwind season for Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz, some encouraging news from the pitcher came on Tuesday evening. The 28-year-old had what is being called a “promising” bullpen session at Minute Maid Park Tuesday afternoon, and according to Buchholz himself, he threw at 60-65 percent intensity while building in each of his pitches.
“I’m trying to build up more pitches obviously,” Buchholz said. “I threw a couple of each of my pitches, but they were predominantly fastballs, so I’m going to build up to my normal bullpens, where I mix in all the pitches.”
He has not thrown from the mound since before the All-Star break, when the team played in Oakland, and his last start came on June 8. Since then then, he has been dealing with shoulder soreness and bursitis.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said that in comparison to the Oakland session, the light soreness was certainly a step in the right direction.
“He came out of today’s session feeling pretty good about himself, and more importantly, he’s built up enough of a foundation that we can build a mound progression for him to follow,” Farrell said. “Progressive steps are being made right now, which is good.”
As pennant and division races heat up, this is when star players are needed the most. For the Red Sox, this encouraging news may mean that one of their star pitchers could be back sooner than anticipated.