The Boston Celtics have endured their fair share of change during the course of half of a year. Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers are gone, Rajon Rondo hasn’t played a minute this season (but is relatively close to doing so), Jordan Crawford is the C’s starting point guard (wow?) and the average age of the roster is 26-years-old.
As unbelievable as it may sound, Boston is still doing alright. While it is still early, 20 games no longer seems like such a small sample size. In fact, at what is almost the quarter-way mark, what the C’s have done without all-star Rondo is quite impressive.
Thus, I give you some interesting tidbits about the 2013-14 Boston Celtics to this date:
Through 20 games…
· The Celtics have more wins (8) than the Bulls, the Nets, and the Knicks. In fact, the Nets (5) and the Knicks (3) have just as many wins combined as the Celtics.
· The Celtics lead the Atlantic Division by half of a game. If the playoffs started at this very moment, Boston would have the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference and would host the Atlanta Hawks in the first round.
· Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Jordan Crawford, Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, Kelly Olynyk, Vitor Faverani, Gerald Wallace, and Kris Humphries all have a better shooting percentage than Paul Pierce (36.8% from the floor).
· The above list is every single player on the C’s roster but MarShon Brooks, Phil Pressey, and Keith Bogans.
· Those players also have a higher shooting percentage than Kevin Garnett, who is currently at 36.3% from the floor.
· Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Jordan Crawford, and Avery Bradley are all scoring more points per game than Pierce.
· The same four, along with Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee, and Kelly Olynyk are scoring more PPG than KG.
· Courtney Lee, at 7.8 PPG, is scoring more points per game than Kevin Garnett, 6.5 PPG… Let that sink in.
· Lee is also only playing 16.8 minutes a night, while Garnett is playing 22.7 per.
· Jordan Crawford is leading the Celtics with 5.2 assists per game. Assists!
· LeBron James is still thinking about that time Crawford dunked over him…
· Jordan Crawford also has more triple doubles (1), than LeBron James (0).
· That last two facts were fairly useless, but true!
· The Celtics are currently 7th best in the league having only allowed 96.8 points per game.
· They were 12th in that category last season.
· By the way, have I mentioned that Rajon Rondo hasn’t hit the floor yet?
· Jared Sullinger has made 14 three pointers, Paul Pierce has made 15.
You see? It’s not so bad after all.
Look! Even Kris Humphries is happy! (nba.com)