Since I received some good feedback (and by some I mean one person telling me it was good) on my latest blog recapping the NFL Draft and Game 4 of the Bruins-Canadiens series, I figured I would use the same format for this recap of Game 5. These are my random thoughts mixed in with the actual recap of the game:
· I've gotta be the only Bruins fan who stands up at home and sings "Oh Canada" just because I love that song.
· Who let those two Canadiens fans in the front row? Those tickets are reserved for Bruins fans. Well they are singing the National Anthem along with Rene Rancourt... okay they can stay for now.
· It took a whole one second to get Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallacher to renew acquaintances by tussling prior to the opening faceoff. Now Iginla and Bournival do the same thing on the second faceoff. This could get nasty quick. WELCOME TO PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!!
· Bruins getting off to a slow start, having issues getting the puck out of their own end, and looking to be more concerned with hitting than with controlling the puck. Then Reilly Smith hits the post. Nice to see Game 5 starting just like the four previous games.
· I see Pierre McGuire likes Brandon Prust as much as Mike Milbury likes Andrei Meszaros. Don't hold back your true feelings guys.
· Matt Bartkowski goes to the penalty box... oh wait my mistake Matt Bartkowski draws a penalty on Montreal. I was so used to typing that first sentence I got confused. And they sent the wrong Canadien to the penalty box. Gorges tripped Bartkowski but they called Pacioretty for hooking.
· I must have jinxed him. Matt Bartkowski goes to the penalty box. Nice to see the same officials from Game 2 stood in Boston for Game 5. We should have known the Canadien Dive Team couldn't go three games without embellishing penalties. Oh how nice it was to not curse them out in Games 3 and 4. I liked that total lack of an interference call during the Bruins power play. Pretty sure if Dougie Hamilton did that same thing he would have gotten called for interference. Oh wait they did in Game 2.
· Great save by Rask on an Andrei Markov slap shot. He looks strong tonight early.
· Nice to see the refs do know what interference is. Tomas Plekanec to the box and a quick 4-on-4 before another Bruins power play. Marchand and Gallacher are also in the box for having another scrum during the commercial break on the Bartkowski penalty.
· Who has the worse power play right now, the Bruins or the Rangers? How did this power play go from dominating the Red Wings to looking like they are down four skaters instead of up one man? If it's five on four doesn't that mean one guy is open? Is it really that hard to find the open man?
· If Matt Fraser scores again shouldn't Pinkberry or Orange Leaf get him an endorsement deal immediately? And yes this first period has been so exciting that a lactose-intolerant person is thinking about frozen yogurt.
· Does Alexei Emelin have a magnet on him that only Milan Lucic is attracted to? Wait that sounds wrong. They just seem to find each other regularly on the ice. And into the boards.
· GOAL: BOSTON 1 MONTREAL 0 - CARL SODERBERG 13:20 1ST PERIOD
· The third line does it again. Loui Eriksson takes the puck behind the net and finds Soderberg open for a quick wrist shot over Carey Price's right shoulder. See you can go high on Price without a) hitting the cross bar or b) missing the net completely. Only in hockey can your third line and your second line be way better than your first line.
· As much as I hate this Discover commercial about frog protection, it's still way better than those stupid Sprint Framily commercials with Gor-don and the hamster. Can someone please tell me what is going on in any part of those commercials?
· Dougie Hamilton in the penalty box for interference. No really that's two penalty calls that I have called in this recap. I promise there will be no more jokes about Bruins penalties. Let's try something else. It would be nice if Lucic attacked the net and scored a goal or two tonight. You hear me Milan?
· Could the Bruins please stop taking bad penalties at some point tonight? It's like they want the Canadiens to score before the period ends. Rask makes a save and then paddles the puck over the boards and out of play for a delay of game call. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Shawn Thornton will be serving it. Oh I was wrong it must be part of rookie initiation for Matt Fraser. SOMEONE GET HIM SOME PINKBERRY IN THE BOX STAT!!!
· Not sure what Tuukka Rask was doing there, as he came out of the net to play the puck and then gave it away to the Canadiens. He made a big save on Plekanec who clearly took his frustration out by running over Rask and drawing the ire of the Bruins defense. Nice scrum in front of the net with Kevan Miller losing his helmet. Plekanec to the box to end the period.
· Time to acknowledge the people who control the music in the TD Garden. As a wrestling fan I have loved the choices going into power plays in this series. The D-Generation X theme song was just used at the beginning of this power play, with Stone Cold's theme also used in Game 2. And of course who could forget the sounds of "I Am a Real American" playing throughout this series. Well done Boston!
· END OF 1ST PERIOD - BOSTON 1 MONTREAL 0
· Congrats to Michael Sam for being drafted in the 7th round of the NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams. He was too good of a player not to be drafted regardless of his combine or his sexuality.
· Boy this power play looks totally different in the second period. Oh yeah that's because Soderberg is out there right now. He is a beast tonight.
· GOAL: BOSTON 2 MONTREAL 0 - REILLY SMITH (PPG) 1:06 2ND PERIOD
· Smith gets the second goal of the night on a deflection from a shot by (surprise) Carl Soderberg. The puck deflected off of Smith's skate but there was no kicking motion so the goal stood.
· GOAL: BOSTON 3 MONTREAL 0 - JAROME IGINLA (PPG) 1:38 2ND PERIOD
· Plekanec takes a bad penalty on a high-stick to the neck of Johnny Boychuk and the power play comes through again. Torey Krug made a beautiful cross-ice pass to Iginla, who was all alone in front of Price for a one-timer that squirted through the five-hole. The Bruins are playing as if they were shot out of a cannon in the second period. By far the best they have looked in this series. Did someone remind them that they were the best team in hockey this season?
· Eriksson and Soderberg almost strike again. Man this line is playing well tonight. I know Bruins fans love to chant "Thank You Kessel" when Toronto comes to the Garden, but shouldn't we be thanking Tyler Seguin now for giving us Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser?
· You've got to love Subban acting tough around Milan Lucic down 3-0. Even Lucic isn't dumb enough to get a penalty right now. Then Subban skates over to the Bruins bench and has some words for Lucic. This is the same guy who was afraid to fight Brad Marchand. Lucic will hurt you P.K. Be careful what you wish for.
· Fraser with another quality chance. Third line is dominant tonight.
· Remember last season when Dougie Hamilton was watching playoff games from the 9th floor because he was considered soft and not physical enough? And when he was paired with Chara to make up for his deficiencies? Now they're paired together because they are the two best defensemen on the team and it's not even close. And that's not a shot to the other defensemen on the team. That's how good Hamilton is right now.
· Every time Lucic hits someone tonight he should look at Subban and smile. Like Chara smiled at Reilly's brother Brendan during Game 2 of the Red Wings series.
· Marchand to the box for holding on Lars Eller. He is very fortunate he didn't get another one for cross-checking Eller right afterwards in front of the official.
· GOAL : BOSTON 3 MONTREAL 1 - BRENDAN GALLACHER (PPG) 14:39 2ND PERIOD
· Plekanec fires a shot in Rask with Gallacher screening the net. Gallacher credited with the goal on a deflection that neither the commentators nor myself saw on any replay. Rene Bourque was also in front of the Bruins net causing more traffic for Rask to try to pick up the puck through. Strong power play for Montreal, who had other quality chances including two from Subban and a rebound attempt that missed the net. I thought the Bruins were the only team in this series to completely miss open nets but I guess I was wrong.
· It feels like the Bruins need another goal to swing the momentum back in their favor. The Canadiens have picked up their play in the tail end of the second period.
· Breakaway chance by David Desharnais stopped by the Bruins defense. That whole play shouldn't happen. Desharnais shouldn't be open that far down ice, and there shouldn't be a passing lane that wide open across ice to send the puck from one end to the other. I feel like I've said this before, but it's like the Bruins want Montreal to score before this period ends.
· I failed to mention during the two goal frenzy that the late great Ultimate Warrior's theme music played prior to one of those power plays. Can't remember which one because I was trying to type during both of them. I really need to learn how to type faster. Or type and watch at the same time. Or how to get someone to type this for me. Preferably a female. Too bad my mom can't type.
· END OF 2ND PERIOD - BOSTON 3 MONTREAL 1
· Capitals fans must love seeing Alexander Ovechkin in a commercial for the NHL app. It is the only way they get to see him during the months of May and June. Actually they only saw him on the offensive end of the ice. Guy plays less defense than James Harden. To fully understand that click here.
· The Soderberg line generating a chance early in the third period. Stunning development there. Then the Bergeron line has a chance. Another shocker.
· Did Bartkowski have some froyo for lunch tonight too? He looks like a different player out there tonight. Poor Mike Milbury won't get a chance to rip Meszaros anymore in this series.
· The lady sitting behind Claude Julien needs to be cut off tonight. I hope she's not driving. I wonder how many $10 beers it took for her to do those dance moves.
· Soderberg to Eriksson to Fraser and he misses the net. And now they are discussing Fraser's entire meal prior to Game 4. This kid could have endorsements from Chipotle and Pinkberry by the end of the night.
· The Southern Comfort commercial with the Brazilian sounding music and the three guys dancing: A++++. Love the blowing kisses with both hands move by the guy in the middle.
· Kiwi strawberry is Matt Fraser's favorite flavor of frozen yogurt.
· Marchand with a great move around Subban for a shot on Price. Then he talks trash to Pierre McGuire standing between the two benches. Yeah that sounds like normal Marchy.
· If you can afford fifth row seats to a playoff game you should be able to afford a replacement for that #68 Jaromir Jagr jersey you've got on. Just saying.
· Apparently there is a limit to goalie interference calls in a game, since Dale Weise just plowed into Rask without a penalty called.
· This "prevent" defense the Bruins are playing isn't going to get it done. Not with eight minutes left in the game.
· THIRD LINE AGAIN! MEN AMONG BOYS!!!
· GOAL: BOSTON 4 MONTREAL 1 - LOUI ERIKSSON 14:16 3RD PERIOD
· Soderberg takes the puck through the middle into the offensive zone, gets it to Fraser for a shot on Price with the rebound going to Eriksson crashing the net. Eriksson holds and skates around Price, shooting the puck into the open net for the goal.
· Montreal pulls Price with five minutes left. We knew pro sports were copycat leagues but this is ridiculous. A couple weeks ago Patrick Roy seemed crazy for pulling his goalie with three or four minutes left down two and now everyone is doing it.
· There's a reason they put the number 76 on the back of those Canadien Dive Team shirts you can buy online and outside of the Garden. Apparently Bartkowski can pull down Subban with one hand and throw him across the ice. I thought there was an embellishment penalty in the NHL.
· GOAL: BOSTON 4 MONTREAL 2 - P.K. SUBBAN (PPG) 17:31 3RD PERIOD
· Not sure what Rask is supposed to do about that. I know Chara has the fastest recorded shot in NHL history but man that slap shot from Subban has to be close if not faster. You can barely see it in super slow-motion. Gotta love Gregory Campbell for lying down and blocking the first slap shot from Subban.
· Subban and Thornton getting involved with Subban accusing Thornton of squirting water on him from the bench. So you wanted to fight Lucic yet you are complaining about getting squirted with water? The smile from Thornton on the bench says it all.
· Gallacher and Miller have words. Not sure Gallacher wants to do that either.
· END OF GAME: BOSTON 4 MONTREAL 2